Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie (gluten free and semi-paleo)

My first food posting! Keep in mind that I am not following true Paleo (I eat dairy!), and my house is gluten-free (even each of my spices). I am not much of a planner as of late, so I tend to use whatever vegetables and meat I bought earlier in the week - the majority of which are fresh. I normally cook very quickly for one and dirty A LOT of dishes - this may not be practical for families or large groups. 

Tonight I used a recipe from Intro to Paleo by Abel James as my inspiration. The Caveman Casserole recipe is attributed to George Bryant (www.civilizedcavemancooking.com).

George Bryant's recipe calls for a gravy made of ghee, arrowroot powder, and chicken broth. I decided this was too much for me - I was hungry!! He also called for an onion (I didn't have one), and I added mushrooms.

The meal was really good and VERY filling. Learning for the future: coconut oil was a bit overpowering. Either I poured too much or I'm not accustomed to the taste yet. Next time, I'll consider using only butter or less coconut oil and rely more on the fat in the beef. Great for a cold, rainy night. Total prep and cooking time was less than an hour - I move pretty fast in the kitchen. :-)

sweet potato shepherd's pie (#GF)
  • Heat coconut oil in a cast iron skillet and brown garlic. Add ground beef and spices (I used fresh oregano and thyme, salt and black pepper). 
  • In a separate pot, steam sweet potatoes (thick slices with skin still on - more vitamins!!). Whip potatoes with butter and a small bit of milk.
  • When beef is nearly cooked, add in mushrooms and carrots. Add frozen peas once everything is tender and hot. Drain any fat / excess oil.
  • Smooth whipped sweet potatoes on top and bake at 400F for 10 or 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment